Dr.S.Raneesh, B.A.M.S., M.D., (Ayu)
Dr. S. Raneesh, is a popular & respected doctor and a medical writer from South India with more than 15 years of Experience in treating Skin disorders, Allergic conditions, Joint and Spine disorders (Osteo arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Disc prolapse etc.,). Following a MD from Vaidyaratnam P.S. Varier Ayurveda College, Kottakkal, he started his career as a Research Officer at Foundation for Revitalization of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT), Bangalore simultaneously, functioning as a private practitioner at Sri Dhanwantari Clinic, Chennai. Later he worked as a Lecturer in the department of Agadatantra at Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Ayurveda College & Hospital, Chennai.
This self-motivated ayurvedic physician is currently serving as a Lecturer in the Department of Agadatantra, Government Ayurveda Medical College, Kanyakumari.
He takes up his career in a very challenging way, and is always ready to contribute quality ideas to inspire the environment where he finds ample scope for learning & growth to carry on with the process of upgrading with the improvements in Auyrvedic medical fraternity.
SKILL SET: Dermatology – Clinical toxicology
- Raneesh, has handled a programme, which was spread over for a period of three weeks and demonstrated to the participants form Italy on basic principles, pharmacology, pharmacognosy & pharmaceutics of Ayurveda along with theoretical & practical sessions on Panchakarma
- He has also made a Literary Research & Compilation on Medicinal Plants- where he studied and analyzed a total of 250 plants which are used by the traditional healers based on Dravyaguna aspects and modern plant pharmacology.
- Moreover, he has conducted a Research on Traditional Quality Standards of Plant Drugs on Semecarpus anacardium, Croton tiglium, Aconitum ferox and Dryopteris cochleata.
- He has also developed a Protocol for five Herbal Drugs to carry out clinical trials. These herbal products were supplemented with authentic references from Ayurvedic classics.
- Furthermore, he has developed formats to document indigenous knowledge pertaining to healthcare in remote villages and tribal areas for baseline surveys and conduct documentation workshops / trainings.
- Besides, Dr. Raneesh has led a Literary Research on Ethno-Veterinary, where he established local remedies for certain cattle health problems signifying the classical Ayurvedic literature. The work was carried out in collaboration with National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) in six
districts of Karnataka. Later on a National workshop on ethno veterinary practices was held at Udupi, Karnataka. Presently, the project has made a sustainable livelihood means by helping the local community in registering a GMP certified drug production unit.
- Compiled book on home remedies for healthy family – Arogyavanthamaina Kutumbamkosam Gruhavaidyam in Telugu.
- He has also attended the Traditional Bone Setting and Marma Practices presented at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore.
- Raneesh is also Trained in Basic Quality Control Tests as per Good Manufacturing Practices of Ayurvedic Medicinal Formulations. He has a better know-how on various tests pertaining to quality standards such as Moisture content, loss on drying, ash value, acid soluble ash, water soluble extractive, alcohol soluble extractive, acid value and free fatty acid content, assay test, saponification value, specific density, refractive index, total solid content and Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC).
- Best M.D thesis presentation 2009, at common seminar programme, V.P.S.V. Ayurveda College, Kottakkal.
- Presentation on “Bala Visarpa – common dermatological problems in children”, was awarded first prize in inter-college paper presentation competition Puthreeya – 2008.
- He was also Invited to lecture on Ethno veterinary practices, the Indian experience, as part of exchange programme, FRLHT – ETC meet, to Badulla, Sri Lanka.
Dr. Raneesh, has also written in various periodicals, they are as follows:
Somasekhar.B.S, S.Raneesh (2003) (July – August) Heritage Hardly Heard, Book Review, Amruth 7 (5)
Raneesh.S (2003) (September – Oct) Understanding Anupana, Dictionary Page, Amruth 7 (5)
Raneesh.S, (2004) (January – February) Sarangadhara Samhitha A Gem of Treatise on Ayurveda Pharmacy, From the Archives, Amruth 8(1): 37, 38
Raneesh.S, (2004) (March – April) Encyclopedia with Empty Promises, Book Review, Amruth 8(2): 17, 18
Raneesh.S (2004) (May – June) Deciphering Dhi, Dictionary Page, Amruth 8 (3): 27, 28, 32
Raneesh.S (2004) (November – December) The story of a beautiful skin, Focus, Amruth 8(6) 11 – 15
Raneesh.S (2005) (November – December) Herbal Remedies for Pet Care, Pet Care, Amruth 8(6) 18, 19
Raneesh.S (2008) (October) Skin infections … beware, Care, Heritage Amruth 4(5) 15 – 18
Raneesh.S (2009) (May – June) Bed sores … worsen matters for the bedridden, Care, Heritage Amruth 5(2) 11, 12, 15
Raneesh.S (2009) (December) food is thy medicine, Heritage Amruth 5(2) 15,16
Raneesh.S (2011) (October) Folk Medicinal Wisdom – Ethno veterinary Practices, Vet Care, Heritage Amruth 7 (5) 44, 45, 46 & 50
Raneesh S, Benil PB, Abdul Latheef EN Randomized Controlled Trial on Candanaadi lepa versus Triphala lepa in Paaduka Visha (footwear dermatitis) with special reference to Allergic Contact Dermatitis Ayurpharm Int J Ayur Alli Sci., Vol.1, No.4 (2012)
Raneesh S, A conceptual note on theunderstanding and significance of Agadatantra in Ayurveda Ayurpharm Int J Ayur Alli Sci., Vol.1, No.7 (2014)
Co. author of “Avabhasini – A practical handbook on dermatology” published by Dept.of Agada tantra, V.P.S.V. Ayurveda College, Kottakkal.
PRESENTATIONS / POSTERS:
Traditional Bone Setting – Presented at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore on 16/6/2006, as part of FRLHT’s Project.
Poster presentation – Participatory Rapid Assessment of Ethno-Veterinary Health Practices of Southern India. II Workshop and I International Congress on Ethno veterinary, Ethno-animal husbandry and Related Sciences, 28 – 29 September 2004, Guatemala.
Dr.S.Raneesh is available for consultation from Wednesday and Saturday at 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM time. More at Akshaya Ayurveda