Mother Nature is so designed to bring harmony in the entire existence. The designer or in other words the PARAMAATMA (Para-Superior, Atma – Consciousness) is equated to the super Natural force/God/the eternal Consciousness. Such being the fact Knowledge exists everywhere.
Man in the true sense is one who has the ability to discriminate and so is a gifted creation. The purpose of life is to attain self realization and rise to higher level of Consciousness, finally attain salvation. The basic need to fulfill this purpose of life is to have a healthy mind and body. This wholesome definition of health which identifies the association of the Atma (Soul), Manas (Mind), sense organs and the body is termed as Life. This philosophical way is the basic parameter in understanding and appreciating the Indian Systems of Health.
Every step of learning was wholesome in the Gurukula tradition. The term”Acarya” means one who practices/follows what is being taught in terms of bodily activities, mental activities/ activities pertaining to the five senses and those related to speech. He was the role model for his students and thus the Guru (Gu-darkness, ru-remove) enlightens his students. Thus, the real value or meaning of education comes into being. The knowledge of health systems was passed on from the Guru to those who had the right attitude by the word of mouth. This was possible because the student were committed listeners. In fact the Vedas are all so known as shruti (that which is listened to). Besides, being good listeners they experienced and further transferred the knowledge lead to manuscripts for the benefit of Mankind. Thus, broadly there exists an oral tradition and well documented codified traditions. Presently, since there are no committed listeners, the oral tradition is broken and moreover distorted.
The codified/documented knowledge in the form of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani are well known by name but poorly understood in principles. Thus, these systems are given the synonyms such as herbal Medicine, Alternative medicine massage etc.
The present day attitudes/easy and short cut methods with no insight look for learning these systems in similar manner. Thus, Ayurveda – which is education for life becomes piece of knowledge for living/earning. The universal massage of Ayurveda is wrongly portrayed as mainly massage.
The present day chaos related to unethical practices in medical field is a result of wrong attitude. It is in fact business oriented, scaring instead of caring, machine oriented, lab oriented, hi-tech solutions are the fanciful events of the day. Things like these are needed in those who really need them and not for the entire population who meets the doctor. Today, we have advanced medicines and many increasing diseases as well. We have complicated our living. In short, we are alien to or away from nature. Today, we talk about lifestyle disorders. How can one give solution for these lifestyle disorders if one is unaware of what lifestyle is? All these are mentioned in the Indian health systems. It is the present day ignorance that has kept these potential systems aloof. For example, do we know what to eat? When to eat? What quantity to eat? How to eat? Etc, many such basic questions are not known to the present day society.
To say a few words about Ayurveda, it is not a mere medical system, it talks about preventive, curative and promotive health and moreover how to lead a healthy life. In fact Ayurveda talks about every minute aspect of all life forms – human, animal & plants. The terms mrigaaurveda and Vrikshaayurveda explains its significance in Mriga (Fauna) and Vriksha (Flora). Presently, Ayurveda is well known as a health care system confined to human health only and very little is understood about its vast applicability and its true potential.
Ayurveda is a dynamic health system not because it has wonderful herbs/ Secret remedies but due to the fact that it aids nature in restoring the natural strength in every individual. The term “Personalized Medicine” is an integral part of cikitsa or management in Ayuveda. It signifies the need of a very comprehensive approach, very much specific to the individual. This is because each individual is unique. Take for example, the present day viral fevers. Ayurveda considers this virus as a friendly host and its does not try to fight the virus. What is being done is that the body’s immune system is enhanced giving no chance for the virus to take over. If one starts disturbing the virus, it mutates and thus there is a relapse or presence of joint pains even after the fever has subsided in the conventional way, If treated with Ayurveda, There is no post viral joint pain. Instead of killing the pest with the pesticide which is harmful not only to the pest but also to the plant and man, what we need to do is make the soil rich addressing the root problem?
Nature has the solution and due to ignorance, we interfere in the nature’s way and create problems. Neem grows in hot regions due to the fact that it is a coolant. Nature has been designed in the way that the plants and animals present in a particular eco system take care of the ill health which the population is susceptible to in that region.
Thus, if you are close to nature, understand the body and mind component, live simple & uncomplicated lives, and then you are close to health. Ayurveda advocates “ Always one who indulges in the right food and activities, know the pros and cons of each and every action, control over senses, magnanimous, treats everyone equally, truthful, forgiveness and who follows the wise, remains healthy”
FEW HEALTH TIPS
1. Have a pleasant mind.
2. Maintain hygiene (Physical and Mental).
3. Eat when hungry. Drink when thirsty.
4. Eat after the previously partaken food has digested.
5. Eat wholesome, nutritious food. Do not eat too fast or slow
6. Do not over eat, do not eat very little. Fill ½ of the stomach with food, ¼th with liquids and leave the rest 1/4th empty so that proper digestion takes place. Do not eat often.
7. Taken freshly prepared food and avoid reheating, preserved & refined foods.
8. Eat seasonal fruits/Vegetables. Eat sensibly with a cheerful mind.
9. Avoid foods which are hard to digest, constipating, causing bloated belly and all those which don’t suit you. For, YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT.
10. Relish what you eat. Do not watch TV or read or involve in any other activity while eating.
11. Chew your food well – like the goat. Speak soft and sweet like a parrot.
12. Understand your body language. If you do not feel like eating do not burden the system by eating just by considering the wall clock. Act as per your biological clock.
13. Don’t drink excess amount of water on empty stomach in the early morning. Drink lukewarm water if thirsty, in small amount only to quench the thirst.
14. Do not suppress hunger, thirst, flatus, micturition, the urge to defecate , sleep, cough, yawn, sneeze, tears and vomit
15. Control your negative emotions like anger, greed, jealous etc.
16. Adequate exercise and food are said to be Aswini Kumaras – the celestial twin physicians.
17. Do not keep awake late at night.
18. Wake up early in the morning at least before sunrise.
19. Do not sleep in the day, except during summer or when physically stressed out. One can take a nap before consuming food.
20. Spare some time for Prayer/Self-analysis /Introspection…
More from my site
Get Healthcare Articles Directly in Your Inbox
Tags: Natural Living