Balloon Plant or love in a puff (Botanical Name: Cardiospermum halicacabum). This plant is considered as one among the Ten Sacred Flowers of Kerala state in India because of its high medicinal value. It is found as a weed along the roadside, and is widely distributed in Africa and Asia. It has the ability to provide relief from joint pains, irregular periods and Nervous weakness.
• Par boiled rice: 3 cups
• Gram/ Urad Daal : ½ cup
• Fenugreek: 2 table spoons
• Balloon plant leaves -2 cups (cut the leaves well)
• Banana Leave – 1
• Gingelly /Sesame oli – 1 teaspoon
• Salt – to taste
How to make:
Soak rice, gram and fenugreek, individually in water for about 6 hours.
• After 6 hours, first grind fenugreek seeds for about 5 minutes now add in the Balloon plant leaves
• Next add gram and rice and grind well and add in salt to taste
• Leave it aside for about 6 hours for fermenting
• Now take the banana leaf and cut it into small pieces so that it fits in the idli holder or pan.
• Then grease the banana leaf with Sesame oil and fill in each of them with ¾th of the batter
• Steam this batter on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until done.
Now you the delicious Balloon Plant idlis are ready for consumption. Serve it hot.